Boundary transgressing dialogue culture
This is a method and material development project for the third and public sector to improve approaches on integration, equality work and digitalization in educational and other fostering functions. The project goal is to thematise these issues in a journalistically and pedagogically progressive and democratising way.
For further information about the project, please contact project manager Nana Blomqvist nana(a)hubturku.fi
The core team also consists of:
- Johanna Liipola (expert in international cooperations)
- Juhani Koivuviita (pedagogue)
- Thierry Francis Mbabane (journalist)
- Rewan Kakl (photographer)
- Juho Vainio (product developer)
We have a large network of cooperation partners however and will expand them during the project period.
The project has three stages, and starts off with a 6 months’ pilot period that is funded by the Regional State Administrative Agencies. We aim at execute also a third and second phase that all together would last until August 2023.
For the 6 month pilot period, the target group is 17-29-year-olds, with particular sensitivity to youth with different backgrounds. In the extended project the target group is extended to 12-29 year olds.
The working process of the project during this 6 month pilot period
- Conducting a series of interactive workshops in senior high schools and youth organisations where the aim is to thematise gender equality through interactive workshops.
- Developing five dialogue workshop concepts to be held at the HUB Turku venue on the following themes:
- Different cultural notions or habits one has reacted to when encountering cultural traits that one is unfamiliar with from before.
- The benefits (e.g. efficient tools) and harms (e.g. addictions) of digitalisation and the new pressures it puts on adults raising children in the contemporary world.
- Cosmopolitanism and multicultural society – painful moments in integration.
- Contemporary world and the professions of the future.
- Produce journalistically relevant podcasts and artistic materials relating to the discussed topics in cooperation with the participants of the workshops conducted at the HUB Turku venue.
- Gather material for the production of a short movie about the young people’s encounter with pornography and orientation in the sexual script in real life.
- Start developing research based impact measurement tools suited for this kind of work.
The methods, materials and education packages will be published easily accessible online and will be presented at relevant fairs such as Educa-fair. They can be used for journalistic and educational purposes and can be utilised by the public and third sector.
Listen to an initial discussion we have recorded on thoughts of two parents raising kids in the current digital era
The materials will then be developed and published as part of the bank for methods and materials to:
- counteract polarisation in the society
- create new models for equality development, also considering the needs in minority communities
- counteract the ethnic segregation regarding the labour market and other societal agency
- thematise crucial and possibly inflamed issues of integration and to develop new models for this work
- develop tools and strategies to respond to the new challenges digitalisation puts on adults raising children and adolescents.
Even though our primary target group is young adults and adolescents, this project concerns and will include the older fostering and parenting generations as well.
Our methodology is guided by principles of:
- Democratic values: freedom, equality and the right to participate socially
- The Finnish constitution
- The principles of the union for journalists in Finland
- The principles of the national core curriculum regarding the aims for democracy education
- Act on equality between men and women
- Nina Pietikäinen – Turun tyttöjen talon johtaja
- Essi Hillgren – Turun AMK. MESH – Verkostot ja mentorointi maahanmuuttajien työllistymisen tukena
- Afrah Al Bayaty – Maahanmuuttajien kotoutumisen ja työllistymisen asiantuntija ja Vigor seksuaaliterveysmentori
- Katri Arnivaaraa, Turun kaupunki,asiakkuudet ja osallisuus
- Hannu-Pekka Huttunen – Senior integration service specialist
- Tyttöjen Talo
- Startup Refugees
- Daisy Young Club
- Pink Orbit Production
- Several schools in the Turku region
- Matthew Hall (Arden University)
- James Bartlett (Arden Univeristy)
- Þórður Kristinsson (University of Iceland)
- Kolbrún Hrund Sigurgeirsdóttir (Univeristy of Iceland)
- Christian Mogensen (Center for Digital Pædagogik)
We are also internationally connected to various Nordic organisations that work on these issues.